Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday 17 April 2014

DO I HAVE TO SHOW MY BELLY TO BELLY DANCE? (AND OTHER DETAILS!)

When I first heard this question there was only one thing that came straight to my mind: YES! Especially if you are going to do some undulations, which make your belly look fantastic. If you think about it, all movements involve a lot of belly motions and there is no better way to show them than by leaving your belly exposed, right? Wrong!

Belly Dancers! It is perfectly fine to cover your belly if you are shy or have any other reasons! Actually, there are many belly dancers who chose to cover their bellies in their costumes or when practising. If you do not feel comfortable exposing your body, go ahead! Hide it then. But that does not necessarily mean you cannot find an alternative way to look charming and beautiful.

My advice is to wear belly covers with your costume or a belly dance t-shirt if you are practising. Often I see a lot of girls hiding inside their clothes while they should be enjoying their dance. I always wear tops (I like to show my belly), but since I started wearing dance t-shirts I felt I was more focused on the music rather than my body and how it looks like on the mirror. I felt great. Not because I was covering my belly, but because I was paying attention to other things. When I realised that, I stopped worrying about how good or not my movements were and started to feel the music. For this reason, my tip is: try it!


Sometimes I like to think of belly dance classes as a form of exercise where I should wear comfortable clothes that allow me to move freely. On the other hand, I also believe I should be able to see my movements clearly and easily. ( Keep in mind that we do not wear belly dance costumes to practise). So I think it is such a personal choice that I can't even decide what to wear for myself. It changes with my mood. Why get stuck with only one way of doing things? 

Of course, the most important thing is to enjoy belly dancing and feel fulfilled by dancing. Therefore, we should not really worry too much about our bellies. Take a moment and reflect - belly dance is meant to be an enjoyment, so let's get the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment